Greece–United Kingdom relations

Greek–British relations are foreign relations between the Greece and the United Kingdom. The two countries have been allies during the First World War and the Second World War, but also Greece received military assistance from the United Kingdom during the Greek War of Independence. Both countries currently maintain relations via the British Embassy in Athens and a consultate general in Thessaloniki and the Greek Embassy in London.

Greece and the United Kingdom maintain excellent bilateral relations with the former British Prime Minister, David Cameron, paying an official visit to Athens in 2011. Britain and Greece share a membership of the European Union, United Nations, NATO and the Council of Europe, however this may change following Britain’s future departure from the European Union. Both Britain and Greece supported the accession of Serbia to the European Union.

Britain supported Greece in the Greek War of Independence from the Ottoman Empire in the 1820s with the Treaty of Constantinople being ratified at the London Conference of 1832.

In 1850, the British Foreign Secretary Lord Palmerston sent a Royal Navy squadron to Greece over the Pacifico incident.

When the Greek King Otto was deposed by the Greeks in 1862, Queen Victoria’s son Alfred, Duke of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha was chosen to succeed him football uniform companies. However, the British government would not allow this. The current British monarch Elizabeth II of the United Kingdom’s husband Prince Philip is the grandson of Otto’s eventual successor George I of Greece.

Great Britain wrested control of the Ionian Islands from Napoleonic France in 1815 sports jerseys for kids. As the “United States of the Ionian Islands”, they remained under British control, even after Greek Independence (partly because Greece’s first, German king caused concern in London). However, in 1864, Britain responded to calls for enosis by transferring the Islands to Greece.

In 2000, Stephen Saunders, the British military attaché in Athens, was murdered by motorcycle gunmen who were members of Revolutionary Organization 17 November. The investigation that followed led to an unprecedented level of co-operation between Greek and UK Police services, who achieved, following a lengthy investigation the arrest of members of 17N who were then brought to trial.

The Conference of Hydra took place in the island of Hydra in March 2000 in order to boost further the friendship between Britain and Greece. Discussions during the conference emphasised the economic aspect of this relations and the ways to soar trade between Britain and Greece.

Greece has an embassy in London and Honorary Consulates in Belfast, Birmingham, Edinburgh, Gibraltar, Glasgow and Leeds. The United Kingdom has an embassy in Athens and a Honorary Vice Consulate in Patras and Thessaloniki. The United Kingdom also has Honorary Consulates in Crete, Corfu, Rhodes, Thessaloniki and Zakynthos.

There are between 40-45 thousand Greeks residing permanently in the UK, and the Greek Orthodox Church has a strong presence in the Archdiocese of Thyateira and Great Britain. The British cultural presence in Greece is promoted mainly through the British Council. There is a significant Greek presence of Greek students in tertiary education in the UK. A large Cypriot community – numbering 250-300 thousand – rallies round the National Federation of Cypriots in Great Britain and the Association of Greek Orthodox Communities of Great Britain. There are some 20 Greek cultural, philanthropic and professional organizations. There are seven chairs of Greek and Byzantine studies at the universities of Cambridge, Oxford electric depiller, East Anglia, Royal Holloway, Birmingham, King’s College and the London School of Economics, and two Greek Studies Centres, at the universities of Bristol and Reading best 1 liter water bottle.

A source of tension between the UK and the Greece is the dispute over the ownership of the Elgin Marbles, a collection of Classical Greek marble sculptures, inscriptions and architectural pieces that originally were part of the temple of Parthenon and other buildings on the Acropolis of Athens. Thomas Bruce, the 7th Earl of Elgin removed the Marbles between 1801 and 1812 and transported them by sea to Britain. In Britain, the acquisition of the collection was supported by some, while others likened Elgin’s actions to vandalism or looting.

The Marbles are currently held in the collection of the British Museum. After gaining its independence from the Ottoman Empire, Greece began major projects for the restoration of the country’s monuments, and has expressed its disapproval of Elgin’s actions to remove the Marbles from the Acropolis and the Parthenon, which is regarded as one of the world’s greatest cultural monuments, disputes the subsequent purchase of the Marbles by the British Government and urges the return of the marbles to Greece. The dispute is ongoing and in 2014 UNESCO agreed to mediate between Greece and the United Kingdom in resolving the dispute of the Elgin Marbles.

Hoosier Heritage Port Authority

The Hoosier Heritage Port Authority is a quasi-governmental organization in the U.S. state of Indiana. It is the owner of a Heritage railway (reporting mark HHPA), operated by the Indiana Transportation Museum, over former Norfolk Southern trackage from Tipton, Indiana water bottle insulator, to Indianapolis, a distance of 37 miles (59.5 km). This trackage is the southernmost section of the former Indianapolis to Michigan City main line operated by several railroad companies since its original construction in the mid-19th Century, the best known being the Nickel Plate.

The HHPA was first established as the Hamilton County Port Authority (HCPA) in 1994, for the purpose of preserving this section of rail corridor that then-owner Norfolk Southern wished to abandon. In 1995, the HCPA closed on its purchase of these 37-miles of rail tracks, which are located in Hamilton and two other Indiana counties. The following year, the City of Indianapolis (Marion County) joined in this entity and its name was changed to become the Hoosier Heritage Port Authority (HHPA).

In 1997 football uniform companies, the former NS interchange at Tipton was cut. The far southern section near 10th Street in Indianapolis had also been removed several years earlier. Additionally the interchange with the Indianapolis Belt Railroad where the tracks crossed the CSX double main line were removed by CSX inc. in the Spring of 2010. This leaves the system isolated from the national railroad system.

As of 2011, only occasional tourist railway trains run along these tracks, such as the Indiana State Fair Train between Fishers and the State Fairgrounds (near 39th Street and Fall Creek in Indianapolis). However, one of the goals of the HHPA is to eventually establish a commuter rail system using this corridor although it is unlikely any action will be taken as the senate committee had passed a Mass Transit bill for Bus Rapid Transit and busway for the corridor.

This rail corridor, one of the oldest in Indiana flat meat pounder, traces its heritage back to the Peru and Indianapolis Railroad Company, which was incorporated on January 19, 1846, to construct a rail line from downtown Indianapolis to the Wabash and Erie Canal at Peru. Construction began at Indianapolis in 1849 smartphone waterproof case, reaching Noblesville in 1851, Tipton in 1852, Kokomo in 1853, and finally reaching Peru in the spring of 1854. Reorganized as the Indianapolis, Peru & Chicago Railway Company (IP&C) in 1864, that entity subsequently acquired the Chicago, Cincinnati and Louisville Railroad Company seven years later to complete a unified 161-mile (259 km) route between Indianapolis and Michigan City.

The IP&C was leased by the Wabash, St. Louis and Pacific Railway in 1881, but upon that company’s financial collapse five years later it was sold by that line’s creditors to the Lake Erie & Western Railroad Company (LE&W) in March 1887. By 1899, the LE&W was under the control of the New York Central System (NYC).

In 1923, the NYC sold the LE&W to the New York, Chicago and St. Louis Railroad, better known by its nickname, the Nickel Plate Road (NKP). On October 16, 1964, the Nickel Plate merged into the Norfolk and Western Railway (N&W), which later became the Norfolk Southern Railway (NS) in 1982.