Cotuit Hall

Cotuit Hall is part of the EF International Academy’s campus in Oxford stainless steel water bottle insulated, England. Until 2011 it was one of the halls of residence at Oxford Brookes University.

The hall was originally named Napier House after its commissioner and first occupant, Arthur Sampson Napier. A fellow of Merton College and professor of English language and literature, he employed the architect Harry Wilkinson Moore to design a house for himself, his wife, their six children and four servants.

The house was to be built on land he had recently purchased in Pullen’s Lane at the top of Headington Hill, an area of growing favour among Oxford academics. The house was completed in 1892, and Napier lived there with his family until his death in 1916.

Napier House was then bought at auction by Headington School, who used the building to house their junior department. In 1930, the senior school moved into new buildings, and the junior section moved into its current location on the south side of London Road (where the senior school had previously been). The name of Napier House moved with the school.

The building meat marinade tenderizer, thus vacated, reverted for a time to being a private dwelling, and was given its current name of Cotuit Hall. The origin of the name is uncertain: Cotuit is the name of a village in Cape Cod, Massachusetts waterproof case for 4s.

In this period, it was occupied by Redvers Opie, fellow and tutor in Economics at Magdalen College. From the 1940s until 1958, Cotuit Hall was the City of Oxford Children’s Home,which relocated to windmill rd headington to become Windmill House

In the late 1950s, it again became a private house, occupied by the Reverend D. B. Jones reusable glass water bottles, but by 1962 it had become a Hostel of the College of Technology, which later became the Polytechnic and then Oxford Brookes University.

In 2011 it was sold by Oxford Brookes University to the EF International Academy, who use it for students aged 16–18 taking two-year A-level or International Baccalaureate residential courses.

Coordinates:

Lackawaxen Township, Pike County, Pennsylvania

Lackawaxen Township is the largest and northernmost township in Pike County, Pennsylvania. The population was 4,994 at the 2010 census. The Delaware River, which marks the eastern boundary of the township official sports jerseys, joins the Lackawaxen River at Lackawaxen Village. The housing communities Fawn Lake Forest and Masthope Mountain are in the township.

The European-American settlement in 1798 adopted the Lenape name Lackawaxen, meaning “swift waters,” after the river that flows twelve miles through the township.

Bands of both Algonquian-speaking Lenape and Iroquoian-speaking Seneca lived in the area through the early 19th century. Neither tribe had any substantial villages in the area, and they used the land as hunting grounds. Their tools, pot shards and bone fragments have been found at Native American rock shelters and camp sites.

The first permanent European settlers in the area were Jonathan Conkling and John Barnes, who built in 1770. In the Battle of Minisink in 1779, 40-50 European colonial settlers were killed in an engagement with a band of mostly Iroquois and Loyalists led by Colonel Joseph Brant, a Mohawk who commanded forces for the British.

During the early part of the 19th century, logging was the principal commercial activity in the area. It produced as much as 50 million board feet (120,000 m³) of lumber annually. Workers floated logs downriver on the Delaware to markets in Easton or Trenton.

In 1829, the Delaware and Hudson Canal began operating between Honesdale, Pennsylvania and Kingston, New York. In its time, the canal company was the largest private commercial enterprise in the nation. It built 28 locks in Lackawaxen Township alone, raising the elevation of the canal 278 feet (85 m) stainless steel water bottle insulated. Some of the old locks are still visible and several lock houses are now privately owned. Roebling’s Delaware Aqueduct, built by John A. Roebling, famed engineer of the Brooklyn Bridge, was constructed in 1848 as part of the canal. It is now preserved as a National Civil Engineering Landmark and National Historic Landmark by the National Park Service (NPS).

The canal linked New York City with the rich coal deposits of the Carbondale, Wilkes-Barre and Scranton areas, providing fuel for both the city’s industrial foundries and heating the expanding number of residences. In 1848, the New York and Erie Railroad was built through the area; although the canal continued to operate for another fifty years, railroads eventually made canals obsolete.

At the same time, the railroad brought tourism to the area and new sources of revenue; the rugged countryside of the upper Delaware Valley became a popular destination for urban tourists. Stations were built at Lackawaxen, West Colang and Mast Hope, and elaborate resort hotels soon were developed nearby. They often provided guides to visitors for fishing, hiking and riding in the area.

Bluestone quarrying became a major enterprise in the area, starting in the mid-19th century. It was used extensively in the construction of the region’s buildings and sidewalks.

From 1905 to 1918, western author Zane Grey lived in Lackawaxen with his wife and growing family. His early stories related his experiences of fishing along the upper Delaware. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places is the Greys’ home from 1914 to 1918, now preserved by the NPS as a house museum, part of the Upper Delaware Scenic and Recreational River area. Grey was buried nearby in the local Union Cemetery.

Physician Orvan Hess was born here.

According to the United States Census Bureau, the township has a total area of 81.2 square miles (210 km2), of which, 78.4 square miles (203 km2) of it is land and 2.8 square miles (7.3 km2) of it (3.45%) is water. A scenic area within the Upper Delaware River National Park, Lackawaxen is located about a two-hour drive from New York City. It is also located about twenty-two miles north-west of Milford, the County Seat of Government of Pike County.

As of the census of 2010, there were 4,994 people, 2,099 households, and 1,453 families residing in the township. The population density was 63.7 people per square mile (24.6/km²). There were 4,580 housing units at an average density of 58.4/sq mi (22.8/km²). The racial makeup of the township was 94.2% White, 2.7% African American, 0.2% Native American, 0.6% Asian, 0.1% Pacific Islander, 0.7% from other races, and 1.6% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 4.2% of the population.

There were 2,099 households out of which 22.1% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 58.3% were married couples living together, 7.2% had a female householder with no husband present, and 30.8% were non-families. 26% of all households were made up of individuals and 11.8% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.38 and the average family size was 2.85.

In the township the population was spread out with 19.1% under the age of 18, 58.5% from 18 to 64, and 22.4% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 48.8 years.

The median income for a household in the township was $38,090, and the median income for a family was $46,856. Males had a median income of $35,758 versus $20,268 for females. The per capita income for the township was $19,119. About 7.4% of families and 9.7% of the population were below the poverty line, including 14.5% of those under age 18 and 2.9% of those age 65 or over.